Dinner Definition and Meaning
The dinner is the last meal of the day. Its specific schedule usually varies according to the culture, and can be done at dusk or at different times of the night. For example: “Today for dinner we are going to eat vegetarian pizza”, “Please, delay dinner a bit, I’m still at the office and I’ll be back later”, “I congratulate you: dinner was delicious”.
In Latin America, it is usual for dinner to take place between 8:00 p.m. and 11:00 p.m., although each family tends to adapt the schedule according to their needs. If a person returns from work at 11 pm, they are likely to have dinner around midnight. On the other hand, if there are children in the house, dinner is often done earlier so that they can go to bed early and get up without problems the next day.
The term is also used to name the action dinner and meeting of people who are summoned to dinner: “After two hours of dinner, nothing better than lying on the couch to watch a movie”, “Tonight I have a dinner with the manager of the company ”, “ Dinner will be at the Thomas restaurant at 8 pm ”.
According to DigoPaul, a complete dinner can include a starter or starter, a main course, and a dessert. The characteristics of the food tend to differ from lunch, as experts suggest that dinner be light for a pleasant rest. Is that, at night, the metabolism is slower and a very heavy dinner can make sleep difficult and promote disorders such as obesity.
Another recommendation from many doctors regarding dinner is to drink a glass or two of wine with dinner; among its benefits are the following:
* reduces arteriosclerosis up to 30%;
* increases the elasticity of the arteries, which promotes circulation;
* raises the levels of HDL (good) cholesterol in the blood;
* prevents the appearance of LDL cholesterol (the bad one) with an effectiveness of up to 96%;
* reduces the chances of suffering from myocardial infarction;
* facilitates the digestion of certain foods thanks to the increased secretion of gastric juice and saliva that produces its natural acidity;
*helps fight constipation thanks to the stimulation of intestinal secretions generated by the excitation of the fibers of the digestive system by the tannins of alcohol (astringent substance);
* Wine is a natural antiseptic and its acids and alcohol give it antitoxic properties ideal to accompany certain foods during dinner;
* has anaphylactic properties (helps to counteract excessive sensitivity to certain foods);
* Helps prevent and cure some types of cancer, by preventing oxidative DNA damage thanks to its antioxidant capacity;
* A glass of wine with dinner can also reduce the risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease and senile dementia.
It is known as “the last supper” the one that Jesus Christ kept with his apostles. There he shared bread and wine before his death and instituted, according to the Catholic Church, the Eucharist.
“The Last Supper” is also the name of a famous wall painting created by Leonardo da Vinci between the years 1495 and 1497, in which the biblical scene of Jesus of Nazareth is reflected together with his disciples, according to the text of the New Will. Its elaboration took place at the request of Duke Ludovico Sforza of Milan and it is currently possible to appreciate it in the refectory of the convent of Santa María de las Gracias, in Milan.